Learning with Lace.

I have had this shawl on the needles for ages and have had to restart it about four times but the good news is, I am still working on it.
I love the yarn and the pattern and while I know that I will not have enough yarn to make it into a shawl, there will be enough for it to go round my neck and it will feel wonderful.


It will feel wonderful not only because the fibre is silk and yak but also because I spun it and I am having to work very hard to get a finished garment.

I have discovered that lace knitting, though not straightforward, is incredibly rewarding and instructional. At the cast on of this project my extremely talented friend Dawn told me to stop looking exclusively at the pattern and try to understand where I am up to by looking at the knitting - I nodded and agreed to try because I am a polite person but inside I was thinking that I was going to cling to that pattern like a very clingy thing indeed! However, I am here to tell you that looking at the knitting is most definitely the way forward. I have learnt so much whilst knitting and repeatedly undoing this project that I feel that once I can actually wear my beautiful scarfy shawly thing I will have accomplished something fine!

Over the last week I have had Muriel Sparks' The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in my ears, superbly narrated by Miriam Margolyes. I had a rough idea of the story because I have seen the film starring Maggie Smith several times (also brilliant) but I have really enjoyed listening to it and as usual there is so much to be gained by going to the original text. Yes I know I wasn't actually reading the text but the narration was unabridged and presumably as Muriel Sparks intended it. I can thoroughly recommend it if you are wondering what to do with all those Audible credits.

Joining in with Ginny at Small Things today for the Yarn Along.

Comments